It's goodbye from me.... and hello from him!

by Lydia


So unfortunately, the challenge has cone to an end sooner than expected for me. On 9 January, day 75, during a group running training session, I injured my knee. 



One of Lydia's last runs
Initial assessment is that I've damaged cartilage in my left knee. At the moment I'm not sure how long I'll be out for, I'm hoping weeks not months, but either way I can't run the final 25 days of the challenge.

Another one bites the dust...

I cried a bit, ate mine and my husband's remaining Christmas chocolate, called my Mum and posted about my misfortunes on social media to officially 'throw in the towel'. In doing so I got some messages of sympathy from friends, family and other runners. One, from Dai, was different from the others....

Dai ran with Louise and I on day 54 and was introduced to us by a mutual friend as a running enthusiast who likes to meet new people through running. He's been very supportive of us two crazy strangers since he heard of our challenge and his message went beyond sympathies.


The show must go on...

Dai, the utter legend, is completing the last 25 days on my behalf. 'A challenge is a challenge and it must be completed somehow', he said. So I'm pleased to report that whilst my participation in the challenge is over, it's still moving Forward (pardon the pun). 


#runwithDai on day 54

Over the next 25 days, Dai will be running every day as my substitute, all whilst tapering his training for the Muscat marathon. No rest day for him after completing his 26.2 miles on a blisteringly hot day in Oman, he'll be right back running, completing at least a mile a day.

Dai is a regular ultra-runner who really likes to test his limits. He partakes in endurance events all over the world and is planning to race in Malta, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Berlin and Limassol this year, in addition to Muscat. He is really friendly and generally awesome and meets new people through running, documenting it through the hashtag #runwithdai.

In 75 days, Louise worked out that I managed to cover the distance from London to Swansea, where Dai happens to originate from. Can Dai make it back to London in the final 25 days? We shall see!


Thank you Dai for taking over, and carrying the challenge on to yet another far flung destination! 

With Dai's marathon distance in the bag, Louise is very excited to see where our collective mileage takes us next.

You can find out more about why Dai got involved here.



To donate to FORWARD, please visit our Justgiving page here

Keep track of our progress across social media with #100daysofrunningforward

Comments